This online line workshop is FREE to participants and can be accessed at salary.aauw.org
One does NOT need to be a member of AAUW to take this workshop.
AAUW Work Smart is a pay and benefits negotiation workshop designed to give women the skills and confidence to advocate for themselves in the workplace. It is an interactive workshop which teaches women effective techniques to negotiate their pay and benefits packages at different stages of their career. Participants learn how to research competitive salaries and pay, articulate their skills, qualifications and experience, and effectively ask for—and get—the pay you deserve.
While this is now an online AAUW National program, between September 2016 and December 2019, the AAUW Long Beach branch
- conducted 30 live 2-hour workshops, open to the public
- taught 400-plus participants throughout Southern California
- did so with an all-volunteer team, supported by local sponsors
The gender pay gap is still at 18% — this gap widens for many when breaking the data down by race and ethnicity, age, disability status, motherhood, gender identity and sexual orientation. Women in California in 2019 missed out on $79 BILLION dollars in pay.
Women working full time in the United States typically are paid just 82 percent of what white men are paid, a gap of 18 percent — and it’s even worse for women of color. AAUW Work Smart is empowering women to close the gender pay gap – women’s economic security is our goal.
Whether negotiating for a new job or an earned raise or promotion, from the workshop participants:
- Learn to identify and articulate your personal value
- Conduct objective market research to benchmark a target salary and benefits
- Develop an arsenal of negotiation strategies and persuasive responses
We encourage you to take the free, move-at-your-own-pace AAUW Work Smart workshop online here.