AAUW Work Smart is an interactive workshop which teaches women effective techniques to negotiate their pay and benefits packages at different stages of their career. The online workshop is free to participants and can be accessed at salary.aauw.org.
Women working full time in the United States typically are paid just 82 percent of what white men are paid, a gap of 18 percent — and it’s even worse for women of color. AAUW Work Smart is empowering women to close the gender pay gap – women’s economic security is our goal.
Whether negotiating for a new job or an earned raise or promotion, from the workshop you will:
- Learn to identify and articulate your personal value
- Conduct objective market research to benchmark a target salary and benefits
- Develop an arsenal of negotiation strategies and persuasive responses
I got a 5% raise! I did what I learned in the workshop and it worked! — K.G., January 2019
History of our local program:
Between September 2016 and December 2019, the AAUW Long Beach branch
- conducted 30 live 2-hour workshops, open to the public
- taught 400-plus participants throughout Southern California
- did so with an all-volunteer team, supported by local sponsors
In October 2020, abiding by pandemic restrictions, the branch coordinated an online 1-hour interactive workshop, which was facilitated by the national AAUW office, and attended by 26 women.
Since the live workshop format originally supported by the branch is not viable at this time, we
encourage interested parties to utilize the effective online workshop, at salary.aauw.org.