Empowering women since 1881!
Celebration and Installation
Saturday June 1, 2019
The June program celebrates accomplishments of our current year and introduces the AAUW 2019-2020 Officers for the upcoming year. Co-Presidents Denise Montoya and Shelly Arnold will install the newly elected officers including returning President Denise Montoya. Her continued leadership and professional experience will bring special insight and ideas to our branch for the upcoming year. Denise will announce the focus and objectives, aligned to AAUW’s mission, which will guide AAUW Long Beach next year as we transition from this year’s theme of “Looking Back, Moving Forward”. We are grateful for the entire incoming Board’s willingness to lead our branch.
To celebrate the installation of new officer, students from the Long Beach City College Performing Arts Department will be performing a series of short, hilarious plays from their current production of Love Sick, directed by Anthony Carreiro and written by John Cariani. The full production starts May 16th and runs through May 26th at LBCC. All members and their guests are invited to join us on Saturday, 1st at the Best Western Golden Sails for the final meeting and buffet luncheon of the branch year. Please RSVP for lunch by May 24, 2019.
Check out the AAUW Vantage June 2019 for details.
Work Smart Workshops:
(Click the image to view or the links below to download.)
WELCOME TO THE GARDEN!
Saturday May 4, 2019
You are invited to attend the annual Garden Party on May 4th, 2019, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The location is Charlotte Joseph’s home on Olive Ave. in the Bixby Knolls area. This event always depends on the good works of all of our AAUW members to assist the hostess. Continue Reading
Get Involved Locally
Saturday April 6, 2019
The November mid-term elections were a watershed moment for women! Americans
elected more women from throughout the country to hold positions in both the House of Representatives and the Senate, as well as in state and local levels. Women are taking their places in powerful positions in all levels of government. Continue Reading
To see more of past events, click here.
Are you earning what you deserve? In 2015, full-time working women in the U.S earned 80% of what men earn. In California, the figure is 86% – better, but still not at parity. A portion of this gap is attributed to women’s lack of knowledge in how to best negotiate for their salaries and benefits.
Created for working women, AAUW Work Smart is an interactive 2-hour workshop that teaches you to evaluate, negotiate, and articulate your worth confidently in the job market. For more specific details, please see AAUW Work Smart under Projects on this website.
- Thursday evening, August 22, Long Beach/Signal Hill WorkPlace; Sponsored by AAUW LB member J. Caveness & H.E.P., Inc.
- Thursday evening, June 27, Long Beach/Signal Hill WorkPlace, Sponsored by AAUW LB members C. Joseph & F. Rozner
- Saturday afternoon, May 18, LB 3rd District Field Office/Conservation Corps Bldg., Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Thursday evening, April 11, Long Beach/Signal Hill WorkPlace, Sponsored by LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn
- Tuesday evening, March 19, Red Cross of Greater Long Beach, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Wednesday evening, February 27, Long Beach/Signal Hill WorkPlace, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Thursday evening, January 24, Junior League of Long Beach, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Saturday afternoon, December 8 2018, The Conservation Corps Bldg, Marina Park, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Thursday evening, November 8 2018, The Nonprofit Partnership (TNP)
- Thursday evening, October 18 2018, Jenny Oropeza Community Center, Sponsored by Long Beach Councilwoman Lena Gonzalez
Coordinated by American Association of University Women (AAUW) Long Beach, the AAUW Work Smart workshops are offered free to the public. Reservations for the workshop must be made online at salary.aauw.org/longbeach.
Attendance is limited to 40 participants.
Come and learn how to negotiate what you deserve!