Empowering women since 1881!
Women, Wealth, and Power
Saturday February 2, 2019
Emerging Faces of Change
The amount of wealth influenced by women and the rate at which it has been increasing are remarkable. Women are responsible for approximately $18.4 trillion in consumer spending and hold approximately 30 percent of global wealth. They are the sole financial decision-makers for one-third of households in the United States, 72% of Millennial women are primary decision makers for financial planning and 95 percent are involved in their households’ financial decisions. American women start 70 percent of all businesses, have a low-er unemployment rate than men, dominate nine of the 10 fastest growing occupations, and benefit from improving wage equality. During the past eleven years, while the number of women-owned businesses surged 58%, firms owned by women of color grew at nearly three times that rate (163%).
AAUW’s February 2nd meeting will feature a diverse panel of women who are making a difference, by helping women learn how to increase their wealth and leverage their power. This discussion promises to be filled with lively interaction and valuable information. Join us and meet Nicole L. Wells, Sathya Chey, Marveina Peters Johnson, women who have succeeded in remarkable ways. Come hear their stories.
Checkout the Vantage for more details.
Work Smart Workshops:
Yes, We Do STEM
Saturday January 5, 2019
Do little girls grow up and do science? Yes they do!
On Saturday, January 5th, Marie Carroll of the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena will be at our
AAUW meeting to tell us all about women and science. Marie is a Configuration Manager who calls herself “the ultimate party planner”. She coordinates all of the STEM engineering areas to make sure that JPL’s “space-y” things get off the ground, and that they are working correctly, within budget, and on-time. Continue Reading
Celebrate with a Wassail
Saturday December 1, 2018
Veteran members, new members and guests are invited to clink their Wassail glasses together to wish good health and festive cheer to each other at this free event. We will also be offering our monthly opportunity drawing at this event, for the purpose of supporting our scholarship programs at CSULB and LBCC! Continue Reading
To see more of past events, click here.
Are you earning what you deserve? In 2015, full-time working women in the U.S earned 80% of what men earn. In California, the figure is 86% – better, but still not at parity. A portion of this gap is attributed to women’s lack of knowledge in how to best negotiate for their salaries and benefits.
Created for working women, AAUW Work Smart is an interactive 2-hour workshop that teaches you to evaluate, negotiate, and articulate your worth confidently in the job market. For more specific details, please see AAUW Work Smart under Projects on this website.
- Thursday evening, January 24, Junior League of Long Beach, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Wednesday evening, February 27, Long Beach/Signal Hill WorkPlace, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Saturday afternoon, December 8, The Conservation Corps Bldg, Marina Park, Sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Thursday evening, November 8, The Nonprofit Partnership (TNP)
- Thursday evening, October 18, Jenny Oropeza Community Center, Sponsored by Long Beach Councilwoman Lena Gonzalez
- Wednesday afternoon, August 22, YMCA of Greater Long Beach
- Saturday afternoon, July 21, City Councilwoman Price’s 3rd District field office in the Conservation Corps bldg., sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Thursday evening, July 12, The Guidance Center (1301 Pine), sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Wednesday evening, Jun 20, DeVry University (near the airport, Kilroy Airport Dr.), sponsored by Wells Fargo
Coordinated by American Association of University Women (AAUW) Long Beach, the AAUW Work Smart workshops are offered free to the public. Reservations for the workshop must be made online at salary.aauw.org/longbeach.
Attendance is limited to 40 participants.
Come and learn how to negotiate what you deserve!