Empowering women since 1881!
Saturday June 2, 2018, Old Ranch Country Club
The June program celebrates accomplishments of our current year and introduces
the AAUW 2018-2019 Officers for the upcoming year. Co-Presidents Sharon Westafer and Cacilia Kim will install the 2018-2019 elected officers including Co-Presidents Denise Montoya and Shelley Arnold. Their leadership and professional experience will bring special insight and ideas to our branch for the upcoming year. Continue Reading
It’s a Garden Party!
Saturday May 5, 2018
Spring is here and it is time to celebrate with the AAUW Long Beach Branch’s Annual Garden Party. Relax and socialize with members and meet our new members. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, May 5, 2018 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the home of AAUW Long Beach Branch member Janice Furman. Continue Reading
Gawking, Stalking, and Doxxing – Oh My!
Saturday April 7, 2018, Old Ranch Country Club
Gender‐Based Harassment from the Street to the Screen
From catcalls on the street to comments from anonymous internet trolls, genderbased
harassment permeates both physical and online public space. What does this mean for the ways in which women experience and navigate these spaces? How are women resisting and organizing against harassment? Our April program will explore these topics and more, and imagine a future in which harassment is no longer a daily lived experience. Continue Reading
To see more of past events, click here.
Are you earning what you deserve? In 2015, full-time working women in the U.S earned 80% of what men earn. In California, the figure is 86% – better, but still not at parity. A portion of this gap is attributed to women’s lack of knowledge in how to best negotiate for their salaries and benefits.
Created for working women, AAUW Work Smart is an interactive 2-hour workshop that teaches you to evaluate, negotiate, and articulate your worth confidently in the job market. For more specific details, please see AAUW Work Smart under Projects on this website.
- Saturday afternoon, July 21, City Councilwoman Price’s 3rd District field office in the Conservation Corps bldg., sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Wednesday afternoon, August 22, YMCA of Greater Long Beach
- Thursday evening, July 12, The Guidance Center (1301 Pine), sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Wednesday evening, Jun 20, DeVry University (near the airport, Kilroy Airport Dr.), sponsored by Wells Fargo
- Friday evening, May 11, Red Cross of Greater Long Beach, sponsored by AAUW LB member, Lynn Shrum
- Tuesday, April 10, evening, Port of Long Beach training room, sponsored by LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn
- Saturday, March 10, afternoon, Conservation Corps building, sponsored by LUNA, hosted by LB City Councilwoman Suzie Price
- Tuesday, February 13, evening, Junior League of Long Beach classroom, sponsored by LUNA
Coordinated by American Association of University Women (AAUW) Long Beach, the AAUW Work Smart workshops are offered free to the public. Reservations for the workshop must be made online at salary.aauw.org/longbeach.
Attendance is limited to 40 participants.
Come and learn how to negotiate what you deserve!